Local boys heading to State Zone Trials
Eight North Coast athletes will be taking an important step towards their dream of playing in the AFL when they take part in the AFL NSW/ACT Joss Under 13/Under 14 State Zone Trials in Albury next week.
Over 300 players will take part in the three day carnival which has been the start of the journey for many players that now find themselves listed at AFL clubs around the country.
Players are selected from regional Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS Academies and will represent three Swans regions and three GIANTS regions. As North Coast is in the Swans zone all eight locals find themselves in Swans Academy teams.
The selected North Coast players are:
- Will Pope (Grafton Tigers) – Team Heeney
- Dylan Bonham (Coffs Harbour Breakers) – Team Heeney
- Ned O’Neill (Grafton Tigers) – Team Heeney
- Kyan Upsall (Bellingen Bulldogs) – Team Rampe
- Will Kelly (Port Macquarie Magpies) – Team Rampe
- Lochie Bultitude (Port Macquarie Magpies) – Team Parker
- Hamish Anderson (Sawtell Toormina Saints) – Team Franklin
- Harrison Lee (Bellingen Bulldogs) – Team McVeigh
Adding to the North Coast flavour, Rod Mapleson (Breakers) has been appointed as Head Coach of Team Heeney and will be assisted by former local Harrison Parker (Breakers). Another former local, Hamish Ellem (Grafton) is an Assistant Coach with Team Parker.
The State Zone Trials are being held in Albury from Tuesday 2 to Thursday 4 October.